Saturday, June 7, 2008

Peru!

I need to cool it on the exclamation marks, I guess, but this week has kind of been one. I am finally in Peru, and was pretty bummed last night mostly because I was working on very little sleep and everything on the way to getting in my bed was running late. However, we all survived and today has been a lot nicer.
The portion I saw of Lima driving through last night was pretty impoverished and reminded me a lot of the old ghetto scene at home. I am looking forward to seeing more of the city, as it has some pretty interesting architecture and sights in the city center. I am actually outside Lima about 30 minutes in a town called Chaclayo, at a kind of Girls and Boys club resort (reminds me more of summer camp than a spa... so not too swanky). The weather is actually pretty warm, although I understand it´s quite cold in the city.
All day we´ve been doing information sessions and interviews to determine what spanish classes and host families we´ll be with over the next 11 weeks. I should meet my host family and move in with them tomorrow, so I´ll have more on that later... For the rest of today I´m going to try and get some rest to recover from the long trip down. Oh, and on a last interesting note, the time zone is Central right now, as they don´t have daylight savings time here. Other times of the year it´s Eastern.

No comments: