Monday, June 23, 2008

Architecture

After talking to my Pa among other folks I´ve decided to talk periodically about how various everyday things happen here. Stuff is already starting to look familiar to me, but this blog would be a whole lot more interesting to everybody else if I described the world I now live in more. Any opinions I may offer are pretty much half-formed and subject to change as I´ve only been here a couple of weeks, but I¨ll throw them down here anyway. It´ll be interesting to see later what stuff has changed and what has simply been reinforced. I got a question about architecture earlier, so I´ll tackle that now.
In Lima first off, there aren´t really any skyscrapers or modern buildings of note that I´ve seen so far. Everything seems to be held to ten stories or less, and old buildings are renovated and reused again and again instead of being torn down and rebuilt. This is good for the large amount of pre-U.S. architecture that is still around, but less so for the more slummy areas that may only be 40 or 50 years old. Lima also has a pretty interesting habit it seems of painting random blocks in a single pastel color. So, around the Plaza de Armas, which is the historical hub of the city, most of the buildings are yellow with black trim, and in the area where I bought my guitar most buildings are pastel blue with white trim. That is certainly a nice touch. There is also a large cerro, or small dirt/rock mountain, with a cross on top of it overlooking the city. I´ve heard the view is impressive and I´ll have to check it out some weekend coming up. Anyway, this hill has house built stacked upon house, each painted in a different pastel color. This is a really cool effect that´ll jump out at you as you´re walking down various streets in the city center.
As for the Plaza de Armas, the architecture is mostly 500+ years old. The Catedral is really impressive on the outside, designed by the conquistador and city founder Pizarro himself. The presidencial palace, which resembles a palace in every way, was built where Pizarro was murdered, which was probably a fitting end. The President apparently comes out a la the Pope every Tuesday (believe that´s the right day) he´s in town and waves to the many people in the Plaza de Armas. I¨ll talk politics and history some other time, preferably when I´ve learned more.
In my town, Yanacoto, there is a jumble of architecture. The house I´m in is really nice, with two levels, tile floors, and all the amenities of home except for hot water and toilets that can handle toilet paper (we use a wastebasket instead). You get used to that pretty quickly, although the frigid shower on a cold morning is still kind of rough. Many of the other homes are in various states of construction. This is because the people of this community seem to be very optimistic. Every house that doesn´t have a second level has rebar and bricks on top awaiting the money necessary to make a second level and beautify the facade. My friend Salvador lives in a house that certainly is more modern and prissied up than my own in the U.S. So, while there is much poverty in my town even, people are spending smart and putting together a pretty nice existence for themselves. As you climb the mountain from my house, the houses get smaller and poorer until you have shacks put together from whatever material was handy at the time. Often these are the same people that are working on a house below as they get the money until they have enough completed to move in. It´s very interesting comparing my living situation to that of other volunteers living in my town, most of whom aren´t nearly as spoiled as me. That´ll all change at site though, and I had probably better enjoy my plumbing while I have it...

2 comments:

Oberst von Berauscht said...

What exactly are you going to do at this "Site" you keep talking about? Is it part of the training process or something?

Henry J Fromage said...

Site is where I´ll be for two years. I will get a small town of my own to work with at the end of training and put all that knowledge to work, hopefully. Basically, it´s my formal service...