Sunday, February 8, 2009

´Nother Update

Well, my baggage ¨showing up¨ ended up being a backhanded blessing. I got the email and was extremely happy up until about 1 a.m., when ¨morning¨ was officially over. During the next several hours I tried calling LAN and emailing a few times to see what the hell was going on, but apparently ¨we´re open from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m.¨ comes with the caveat of ¨but we won´t be answering our phones or email or doing any work at all really until 7 p.m.¨ Also, their definition of in the morning apparently stretches to 9 p.m., one of the more liberal definitions out there.
So, after being pissed off most of the day I finally decided to go do something because the time had passed where I could get my luggage and hop on a bus to Iguazu. I ended up wondering up Avenidas Lavalle and Corrientes, kind of their nighttime shopping and eating district in El Centro. I ate a traditional Argentine parillada, which is a ton of meat on a plate- chicken milanesa, a meh cut of steak, ribs, a pork sausage, and , my first shot at this, a blood sausage. I had heard some pretty disgusting things about blood sausage, but after trying it I kinda liked it. It tastes like Thanksgiving stuffing a bit, probably because it has the same throw-away parts of the animal that stuffing does. After that I did the traveling sin of going to a movie to cheer me up. There are tons of theaters along this strip, all unfortunately showing the same mainstream stuff, so I caught Jim Carrey´s Yes Man and was presently surprised. Didn´t expect much but there was some pretty good writing in there and Carrey does his thing. Zooey Deschanel´s presence certainly helped things out as well.
Now I´m about to head off to the bus station to discover what other misfortunes can befall me. If all goes well today, which would a record streak at this juncture, I´ll be off on the first bus to Iguazu and have all day to explore it tomorrow.

No comments: