Saturday, November 29, 2008

Vacation

Hey all,

The title of this post is vacation, but that´s not strictly true as the first half of the week we had meetings in Pacasmayo, a coastal town in the north about 26 hours from my capital city by bus. I actually didn´t really go to many of them, because I got sun-burned badly the day we got in, got ill from bad seafood I ate soon thereafter, and already had a pretty bad cough and congestion problem. I then slept funny from the sunburn and couldn´t move my neck for three days. So, all in all it was a pretty bad few days, although I did get to hang out some with some folks I hadn´t seen in three months.
On Wednesday we had a Thanksgiving dinner together with most of the traditional dishes. That was really nice, as I think a lot of people were missing that Thanksgiving meal and fellowship. We all then scattered, the majority going to Trujillo, a famous beach to the south to soak up some sun and just relax together. That was a bit better of a time, although I still wasn´t feeling perfect. Now, on the way back to my site, I finally feel pretty good. Go figure.
It was great getting to see the other volunteers that are so far to the north and get a change of pace from our cold, very campo (backwoods- country) sites. Still, I´ll looking forward to getting back and finishing up the school year as well as starting some new projects for the winter. The rain is fast a-coming, and that will really change up how I work, probably for the slower. Still, I will do my best to fill my time and keep checking in with everyone.

No comments: